September 4, 2020

Not sure what this is

weird white growth on cut maple logs
Even though I've lived on this mountain all of my life, I still, occasionally, come across something odd. Case in point, there is something weird growing on one of the woodpiles. I really don't know what it is, and I've never seen it before. I'm wondering if we should burn the woodpile right where it is and not in the woodstove. That may be the prudent thing to do. 

We've had a lot of rain in the last two weeks, so my best guess is it's powdery mildew, something that is annoying but not dangerous. In fact, it's one of the most common plant "ailments" out there. It doesn't actually hurt live trees, and in the sealed woodstove, won't hurt us, either. 

But it is a bizarre sight, like snow on the logs in September. 

The Lady of Holly Tree Manor




No comments: