September 11, 2020

August lilies in September

We've always had August lilies. I don't know much about them but I think they're part of the hosta or plantain family. I love them, but so do the deer. It can be a problem.

Years ago, my grandmother gave me the first plant. From there, I divided the plant every other year until, no matter how much I loved them, I was overrun with August lilies. That's when the deer took notice. Over the course of a few years, they managed to kill a lot of the plants. Not to be beaten by a bunch of tick-hosting miscreants, I started over. 

These days the August lilies are thriving up close to the house. They shine best when planted in a row, but the strategic spots behind the house work as well, although I do miss looking across the yard on nights when the moon is full and seeing their white trumpets gleam.

Sometimes we need to settle for our memories as we nurture bits of the past in the present.

The Lady of Holly Tree Manor


No comments: