July 10, 2023

The state of retirement, one year in


I've been thinking about this post for a while. I officially retired May 22, 2022, but I still have close connections to the people at my former job. We keep in touch via email, text, and a monthly meet-up for lunch. I signed a one-year contract to be an "administrative consultant," and although that contract is expired on paper, in real life it continues. It's a good thing, too, because my protégé is pregnant and I'll be filling in for her when she's on maternity leave. 

Not everyone is fortunate enough to leave a job on good terms. A friend is retiring at the end of this month. She'll have her last working day and then two weeks of vacation and some personal leave that should put her official date at July 31st. Her job has made her miserable, so it's a good thing for her that she's doing this. I'm not a professional, but I think her mental health needs the break.

Has retirement aided my mental health? To some degree I think it has. I'm sleeping so much better. I'm more relaxed now. Working on my own schedule presented a few challenges at first. I attempted to do everything all in one day last summer. Now I pick and choose what needs to be done in a day. The weather plays a part in that, as does whether or not I have a helper available for some of the bigger jobs. I also give myself days off.

One disappointment is that I'm not writing the way I thought I would. It's taken a while for me to get caught up with homestead chores, not that one ever does get completely caught up, and settle down to writing time each day. 

The biggest adjustment has been spending so much time with my partner. Nerves are wearing thin. I'm much less concerned about saving gas and wear and tear on my car than I am with getting away for a few hours two or three times a week. Even a trip to the landfill is welcomed. Juuuust saying. #men

I look around the manor and it's easy to see I've worked hard. The wood processing area is a little messy with a few rounds and such that need cut and split, but it's always going to look like that. The grass could be mowed again but that's a weekly cycle. And speaking of grass, I went against the man's wishes and sprinkled some fertilizer around back in February or March and the grass looks better than it has in twenty years! I wanted a garden for a long time and now I have one.

All-in-all, being home is a true blessing to my inner life. I'm glad that I retired and moved away from someone else's daily grind. I simply have a few wrinkles to smooth out, and I know once that is accomplished, new ones will appear. 

It's easy to go with the flow when it's only your flow you have to deal with. 

The Lady of Holly Tree Manor


Holly Tree Manor, The Hideaway, retirement, homestead, rural living, country lifestyle, mow grass, gardening, a writer's life, inner life

No comments: