July 17, 2023

A patch of morning sunlight


Early morning is by far my favorite time of the day. For years and years, I've gotten up early to greet the day, resenting those working mornings when I had to rush to a day job in a congested city. Saturdays and Sundays were mornings I relished in silent gratitude. 

Times change. I've retired and my housemate's sleeping habits have changed. He gets up when I do, which doesn't exactly please me. I'm sure my being home all day every day doesn't please him, either. But I do miss the solitude of those two mornings a week. 

I see a wider perspective now. I have time to sit on my sunroom porch and observe the habits of deer, foxes, squirrels, and human neighbors. I mark the patterns of the sun as it comes over the mountain and the sunlight as it slips under the cloud cover. And some days I see a spot of magic as if the sunlight is saying, "Visit there today and see what awaits you." 

And while it speaks to me, I think it's better to leave the magic undisturbed and simply enjoy it for as long as it lasts.

The Lady of the Hideaway


Holly Tree Manor, The Hideaway, mornings, sunlight, magic, rural living, country lifestyle, woods, cloud cover, deer, fox, retirement

No comments: