January 9, 2021

Christmas cards, a lovely tradition


In early December, I bemoaned the lack of Christmas card greetings. Himself, ever sanguine about life, opined that 2020 was perhaps not a good year for so many people. I certainly understand that, but 2020 showed us exactly why the sending and receiving of Christmas cards is more than an empty tradition. 

I frequently refer to my family by generation. My grandparents were Gen1, and my parents part of Gen2. I and my cousins are Gen3. By the end of 2020, we've reached into Gen6. I've got to keep track of them somehow! 

Beyond family are scattered friends. We stay in touch via email and text, but a Christmas card from them touches me in a deeper way. It confirms I'm not alone in remembering tradition, and people. 

The year 2020 was difficult on relationships. Yes, some deepened due to the sheer determination of those involved, but other relationships suffered. Absence does not always make the heart grow fonder. With that in mind, I sent out cards to the far reaches to tell people I remembered them, that I think of them even if an email doesn't get sent. It also made me aware of how remiss I've been in calling some of them. 

Today is January 9th, and the Christmas cards are still arriving. I consider each one a blessing from someone I treasure. Long live the Christmas card tradition. 

The Lady of Holly Tree Manor

No comments: