January 11, 2021

A last kiss of sun


When I first moved to Holly Tree Manor, my father was alive. I worked side-by-side with him and my grandfather to clear enough trees to build a house. One evening, as Dad and I were still on the property tending to a burn, he said we should cut down a swath just wide enough so that I could enjoy the sunsets. 

I didn't like that idea at the time and have since regretted it. My view of the sunset is through the trees and not a wide-open vista. But I see enough to appreciate the beautiful colors especially as it becomes dark enough to see stars above the bands of color. 

But there is beauty before the actual sunset. I get to observe my world as the sun dips below the tree line and then the mountain. I see the precursor of what is to come. 

Dad, we were both right. 

The Lady of Holly Tree Manor


No comments: