March 6, 2022

A simple fix - fake ivy

Several...good grief. It's been almost FIVE years.

Five years ago we put railing up around the sunroom porch. We were concerned a young Deuce would jump off at the back end, and it's a six-foot drop. The installation did not "go off without a hitch." It was July and it was hot. The good news is that once it was installed, we liked it. It gave the porch a more intimate feel on those evenings we sat out there to watch the deer meander through the woods. 

Not long after the installation, the base of the center post fell apart. The center post drooped a bit and we knew we'd need to replace it. That never happened. His health took a turn and we were busy with doctors, and it just didn't get done.

I've snarled to myself over the way the railing looks for several years. It's a two-person job to fix else it would have been done long ago. 

Fast forward to me scrolling through Amazon one day very recently when I somehow was given links to "silk flowers" when I was searching for "flower pots." I saw a set of ivy vines for $10 and wondered if that would be sufficient to hide how the railing sagged. 

The answer is yes! That's not a very good photo, but the fake vines are just the ticket. They hide the sag and soften the edges. It's very pleasing to my eye. 

I'm going to look at it for a while before deciding if I need another set of vines. I'm on the fence about it and probably won't decide until I can put the umbrella up and actually enjoy some time out there. 

The post base still needs to be replaced. Maybe this summer, once I'm home, I can ask one (or two) of the male cousins to come to help me out with my To Do list. I bet they could whip right through it. It's a thought, anyway.

Until then, my simple, inexpensive fix works just fine.

The Lady of Holly Tree Manor (The Hideaway)





No comments: