February 27, 2022

Freezing rain encases the manor

It was drizzling when I went to bed last Thursday night (February 24), so it was no surprise as daylight rolled around to find my little manor encased in ice. 

My first thought was something along the lines of, "oh fuck I have to go to the office and I can't get out of it today." 

Yes, I do sometimes use THAT word. Get over it.

As daylight crept over the mountain, the world took on a different appearance. The trees began to shine and the woods came to life with new creaks and groans, and the occasional 'thump' as a limb gave way under the extra weight of the ice. 

I had to go to my day job office, but I didn't need to hurry. I decided I would enjoy the morning.

Deuce was ready for his morning stroll, so I bundled up and out we went. We didn't go far - he's very good at making short work of his outside activities when it's wet outside. So what if Labs are water dogs? Deuce knows the difference between wet feet from the creek and the cold, wet ground. 

We made a circuit around the yard and I took a few pictures to share. Not too many because I don't like the cold, wet ground under my feet, either. 

A short while later the sun began to burn through the clouds and everything turned to crystal for a few short heartbeats. Just as rapidly the mist began to rise and it sounded like rain as the ice melted from the trees. 

Such ice storms are infrequent here at the manor. We just don't get the freezing rain that coats the trees very often. I feel blessed to have been witness to the rare display of beauty, and relieved it left so little damage in its wake. 

Country living brings an ever-changing vista to my door. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

The Lady of Holly Tree Manor (The Hideaway)


A short video I took as the melting began can be found at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQoWa8wfowU




No comments: