March 12, 2022

A Mid-March Snow


It's not at all unusual for us to get a measurable snowfall in March, but then again, it's not an every year occurrence. We didn't expect it this year, an expectation based on the daffodils and the fact the maple trees have red tips. But this morning we got four inches of white powder. It was 36F when I got up at five-thirty, and now at two-thirty pm, it's only 24F. And, as the snapshot shows, we had a casualty. 

Being curious, I went to a website run by our local meteorologist to check out snowfall totals in a single "biggee" snowfall that happened in March. March always has a few flurries, but I didn't feel the need to look at those.  

March 5, 1902 - 15"

March 18, 1928 - 13"

March 7-9, 1941 - blizzard conditions, 13"

And a special one: March 29, 1942 - The famous Palm Sunday Snowstorm. 23.0" of heavy, wet snow that fell trees and power lines, damaged roofs, and collapsed buildings. Higher elevations had up to 48" of snow. It was 53F on the 30th and by April 3, the snow was completely gone and it was 65F. Wow!

March 6-7, 1962 - 10.5"

March 13, 1993 - 20". I remember this one! I couldn't get my car in my lane and had to walk in and out. This storm affected an area that stretched from Alabama to Maine. 

March 14, 1999 - 12.5 " of really heavy snow. Lots of tree damage (read that we had a lot of firewood for the next season).

We are way overdue for a "big one" in March. I think I need to be happy we only had 4" and go knock the snow off my chair and set it back on its feet. 

The Lady of Holly Tree Manor (The Hideaway)




No comments: