February 12, 2022

Ashes and old loves

 
An old love of mine died last week. The news came as quite a shock, especially as he was five years younger than me. It's been years since we saw each other, but we greeted each other in that chance meeting with affection and parted with a friendly hug. Never in that moment would I have believed that I'd never see him again in this life. Never would I have thought to see two of my old loves die, but now it has happened, the first back in 2009. 

Kevin came to me through my late cousin Phil. My first marriage had recently - formally - ended and Phil knew Kevin through a friend of his. He called me and had me come to his house to meet "a guy you'll like," and Kevin was there helping him paint the outside window frames. 

My cousin was correct. I did like him. The next Monday night, Kevin showed up at the bowling alley "to see Phil" and we spent two hours chatting away. That led to a proper date which led to us becoming a couple. And while we eventually went out separate ways, there was no acrimony between us. We simply needed different things. 

But, oh, did we have fun together! He didn't bowl but he did practice Tae Kwon Do. The guy had a mean spinning back kick and the trophies to prove it. He had worked his way up to a second-degree black belt before we parted and, to my surprise, during our chance meeting he told me he'd given it up. 

He lived along the Potomac River and we walked the C&O Canal towpath, fished, camped, and floated on inner tubes. He was a big movie buff and we probably went to the movies three out of four Saturday nights. 

Even though Kevin hasn't been a part of my daily life for over thirty years, it tugs at my heart to know his light is gone from this realm. He was one of the good guys. 

Rest in peace, Kev.

The Lady of Holly Tree Manor (The Hideaway)

No comments: