February 20, 2021

Backing up the photo files


 Let me give you an idea of how old I am. 

I remember film. You know, that stuff you loaded into a camera without allowing bright light to hit it. I remember Kodak's instant developing film, too. I even have a few surviving examples of those. 

My very first camera was a Kodak Brownie Hawkeye. I'm pretty sure it was old and used by the time my grandfather gave it to me. He would load the film for me. Then the camera was held down in front of you at waist level so you could see through this tiny round hole. I thought I was a big dog taking pictures until I'd used all twelve spots on the film. Then Pop would remove the film and take it to be developed. He may or may not bring a fresh roll of film home when he dropped off the exposed roll. Money didn't flow back in those days, not like it does now. 

Pop fostered my interest in a wide variety of activities. Where my parents thought I was "scattered," Pop saw something more. He saw me soaking up information about everything that passed in front of me and everywhere he took me. He was, and still is by far, the most influential person in my life. 

Taking pictures is much easier than it was back in the nineteen sixties. Everyone has a cell phone and digital pictures are easy to store. Just transfer the file to your computer or the cloud. I don't even know if I could find film to purchase for my old Pentax ME Super. 

What precipitated this blog is the newest backup of my photo files. I was using a couple of older jump drives and decided I needed to get one single stick with enough capacity for all of it. 

Holy cow...

I have almost 11,000 files on the hard drive. That translated to about 44 GB of pictures. Apparently, the man of the manor is correct. I really do keep everything. 

But then, so did Pop.

The Lady of Holly Tree Manor






No comments: