October 6, 2020

New sources


Years ago we discovered the [joys?] of online shopping. Love it or hate it, Amazon has been a godsend for my partner. With his limited mobility, shopping is an arduous chore. We truly hope curb-side pick up lives on long beyond the COVID-19 pandemic. 
 
The pandemic of 2020 has disrupted everything in the supply chain. Amazon, which could be counted on in order to obtain just about anything, has had a disappointing showing. Why do I say this? I wanted a very simple Presto pressure canner. It was continually out of stock, so I went looking and found one at Overstock.com. I ordered it from Overstock and it arrived in five days. Not quite Prime fast, but certainly fast enough. 

Another difficult item to find in 2020 is any size of Ball canning jar. Oh, imitations can be found, but I'll only trust Ball jars and lids. Canners in the know only trust Ball and Tattler (more on that product later). As I write this entry, the price gougers are out in full force on Amazon and the reviews tell of a multitude of problems with orders, so that's a no-go for me. Shipping anything glass isn't a good idea.

Earlier this year, I got Ball jars at Walmart. That source has dried up for now. I'm checking in the stores every time I go for groceries. As soon as possible, I'll be stocking up on jars and lids.

One of the things I'm excited about is that Ball/Jarden is bringing back, in limited quantities, the colored glass of yesteryear. I have several aqua jars that my grandmother used and I plan to get some new ones. As far as preserving goes, they're no better, but I simply like them.

Finding new sources during a pandemic isn't easy, but one must persevere. Here on the manor, it's the only choice we have because giving up or giving in is not an option. 

The Lady of Holly Tree Manor




















No comments: