October 3, 2020

The ferns in fall


Walking through the woods is a constant joy for me. Even though I stick to the same trails, as a general rule, there is always something new to see mixed in with the familiar. This year, there has been a big stand of ferns growing on a bank. I've marveled at how green they were all summer.

Fall has arrived, and the ferns have turned a pale yellowish-brown. It's the way of the season. Will they return next year? In all likelihood. This type of fern grows wild everywhere around here, even on the manor. Part of their growth success is that the deer don't seem to like them. 

I wish the deer would eat the ones growing along the upper stone fence. I've tried and tried to eradicate the ferns in that area, but so far they've bested me. 

I won't give up. I've got a tip on a woven ground cover that might do the trick. Do I feel remorse at the thought of killing off some ferns? No, I do not. There are plenty more to be found on the manor. I simply want what was a flower bed to be returned to its original function. I want to see the daffodils in the spring. I want the foxgloves and columbines to grow back. 

As I ease into being home on the manor full-time, this is just one of the many things I want to accomplish. And I'll still enjoy seeing the ferns along the woodland trails. 

The Lady of Holly Tree Manor


No comments: