May 14, 2021

The historic stone fence

 The north side of the manor is bordered by a tall and wide stone fence. I'm about five-foot-eight and it towers over me by a few feet. The best guess estimate is that it's at least twenty feet wide at the base. Yes, it's massive. 

One of the things I would love to do is to dry stack the section I can see from the patio and sunroom. It's never been stacked, so it will be quite a challenge. I've always loved artwork depicting medieval walled gardens. The same for the modern urban backyards featured in so many home and garden television programs. A walled garden has that unique blend of fresh air and privacy. I have plenty of both so maybe it's more of an aesthetic for me. 

My grandparents purchased the land I live on during the Great Depression for $236. They were more fortunate than most in that they both had jobs. One worked days and one worked nights and they didn't see each other at all Monday through Friday, but they did what was necessary. They made weekly payments to the man who sold them the land until the debt was paid. 

I refer to this stone fence as historic because it's actually listed on the property deeds going back into the 1800s when the manor was part of a land tract known as P--s Resurvey. When my grandfather first planted an orchard here, folks from the area would bring in stones by wagon and toss them on the stone fence. It was a local thing and certainly explains how the thing got to the size it is. 

I don't plan to stack the entire length of the stones. I'm not that crazy to attempt a job like that. I think a section behind the house, picnic table, and the firepit would be just enough. But if I get bored in some future time, or maybe get ambitious, expansion is always on the table. 

And I will be on the lookout for the not-so-friendly neighborhood Contortrix Agkistrodon. 

The Lady of Holly Tree Manor



No comments: