June 12, 2022

Canning tip - storing empty jars


Now, why didn't I think of that? 

Somewhere on YouTube is a video about canning cherries. I've seen it. It does exist. 

Last night I went looking for the video, which I should have clicked the like button on so I could find it. My bad. What popped up in my search was a video about storing empty canning jars. It was only a couple of minutes long from Mousetoes so I figured I'd watch it. I'm so glad I did!

This is so genius and it solves three problems at once: where to store the rings (or bands if you call them that) when not in use, how to protect the rims of empty jars, and gathering up rings for a canning session. 

If you have empty jars on your shelf, put a ring on them and store it upside down. The ring protects the rim. Storing upside down keeps the dust out of the jar, and the ring is right there when you need the jar. 

Seriously! Why did I not think of that? 

I have rings by the bag full, and a bunch of empty jars. My jars are already stored upside down but guess what my project of the day is? 

I'm so glad I didn't discard all those unused rings. So glad!

The Lady of Holly Tree Manor (The Hideaway)


Holly Tree Manor, The Hideaway, canning tips, storing jars, simple country pleasures, a writer's life, rural living, gardening, food preservation, 


No comments: