May 24, 2022

Beans in molasses sauce

 

A recipe for navy beans in a molasses sauce was recently brought to my attention. It's from the National Center for Home Food Preservation's website. They also include a recipe for the beans in a tomato sauce. 

https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_04/beans_tomato_molasses.html

I watched a YouTube video of them being canned and thought it would make a good switch-off for always having baked beans when we put burgers on the Blackstone and eat on the patio. I downloaded the simple recipe and yesterday, I got to work. 

I followed the recipe, which should have netted me nine pints. I ended up with fourteen pints. Yeah. That's a lot. The recipe for the molasses sauce is written in a way that you'd believe the recipe would fill nine pints. I found this to not be the case. I had to make three batches of the sauce and was very glad I'd reserved all the liquid from cooking the beans. 

The canning process itself was standard. Fill clean jars with prepared beans, add the liquid sauce to the proper headspace, wipe the jar rims, put on the lids, and then process in a pressure canner. Thirteen of the jars sealed, and one with a Golden Harvest lid did not. It's in the fridge for consumption sometime this coming week. My assumption on that jar is I may not have had exactly the proper headspace and it siphoned. It does happen, even to those canning gurus on YouTube. 

The contents of properly sealed jars, according to Ball, should be good for at least eighteen months. It may take us that long to eat all the beans. That's okay with me. Having side dishes prepared is always a good thing. 

The recipe is at https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_04/beans_tomato_molasses.html . The National Center for Home Food Preservation is a good resource to bookmark if you like to have additive-free home-preserved food. 

The Lady of Holly Tree Manor (The Hideaway)


**Update: The spousal unit says the recipe needs a bit of brown sugar. He may be right. I'll add a quarter cup to the sauce recipe if I make them again.**


Holly Tree Manor, The Hideaway, National Center for Home Food Preservation, country living, simple country pleasures, home canning, a writer's life, additive-free foods, molasses, beans, gardening


No comments: