December 4, 2020

That little something in the mailbox


I heard a bird sing in the dark of December,
A magical thing and sweet to remember.
- Oliver Hereford 

As the years go flying by, we get fewer and fewer Christmas cards each Advent season. I'm not sure why that is. Is it the cost of buying cards and stamps? Is it the time it takes to address and mail the cards? I don't know for sure. What I do know is I love to receive a Christmas card from a friend or family member. 

The year 2020 has not been kind to many people. The Covid-19 pandemic has taken a toll on more than physical health and finances. I think we'll be dealing with the mental and emotional issues for many years to come. I say that but so far, we've been very fortunate here at the manor. 

I know people who have not left their homes in months. My last surviving uncle is among them. At eighty-eight, he's healthy enough but homebound due to the pandemic. His sons bring him whatever he wants when he wants it. We're only a phone call and a short mile away should he need help when the sons are unavailable. 

It's my belief folks like my uncle will benefit by receiving Christmas cards. It's a small thing but it lets them know they are not forgotten. 

I'll send cards to everyone on my list this year and hope they know the card is more than paper. And with any luck, my mailbox will hold greetings from them. It will be nice to know they remember me, too. 

The Lady of Holly Tree Manor


No comments: