October 4, 2024

Twelve days straight


It rained for twelve days straight. I'm feeling very low on vitamin D. BUT... Today started out overcast which has now given way to sunshine! 

Sunshine means one thing, and one thing only, on the manor - time to get outside, see what needs to be done, and get moving on it. 

There is a strip along the edge of the driveway, close to where I park, that anyone and everyone who comes to my house lacks the ability to STAY THE HELL OFF OF!!!! Seriously. How hard can it be? I manage to keep my tires on the stones, but I know how to operate a motor vehicle. But I digress.

I repaired the mudhole by adding some topsoil in preparation of reseeding. Then I added a thin add of gravel to redefine the edge. Suffice it to say, I won't be ordering anything from Amazon for quite a while because those drivers are the absolute worst. 

With that done, I turned my attention to the old tractor path. The entire top broke out of a maple a few days ago and there is some okay firewood in that. I cut the leafy bits off and took those to the burn pile and set aside the bits that are suitable to cut, split, and age for the 2025-26 season. After being trapped inside for twelve days, I was more than happy to be outside and moving around. 

I may be done for the day, but I'm far from done. There is still the mess the well drillers left behind, but a few more days of sunshine will make that easier to scoop up and drop in the corner of my property where it won't impact anything or anyone except the deer. In time the clay will disappear, claimed by the weeds, leaves, and greenbriers. 

Sunshine is rejuvenating. It imparts renewed energy not just to the land, but to me as well. I've been grouchy these past days even though in our modern world we still find things to do in the rain. I had lunch with friends, did some writing, did a bit of promotional work, and gathered up Ron's Civil War books for his youngest brother. It's not that I want to dispose of those books, but he asked for them since he shared Ron's interest in the Civil War. 

Tomorrow's weather should be much like today's. I'd like to get outside early and see what is ready to be done. Or what I'm ready to tackle on my own. There is that to consider.

The Lady of Holly Tree Manor/The Hideaway


Holly Tree Manor, The Hideaway, rural living, country lifestyle, sunshine, John Deere 1023, woodland, energy reserves, Civil War books, rain, a writer's life, romance fiction


No comments: