October 14, 2023

Stove-top potpie the way my grandmother made it

The times they are a-changin'. 

"What's for dinner?" is the question every woman in her right mind never wants to hear again. I decided to head it off yesterday and fix chicken potpie on the stove. Not baked in pie dough, but cooked in a big pot on the stove. 

The spousal unit likes baked chicken pie. I do not.

The spousal unit made a derogatory sound when I informed him dinner was stove-top chicken potpie. 

THE WAY MY GRANDMOTHER MADE IT, MOTHER FUCKER!!!

I was not pleased with his attitude, and from now on, if he wants a baked chicken pie, he can make it. 

Should I mention I spent the day using a chainsaw to cut firewood rounds, burning a small brush pile, and mowing the grass? Should I mention he did not assist me in any tangible way?  Yeeeeeah. And I should have made pie crust? Noooooo.

I actually did ask him to do two things that, a day later, remain undone. Ask me what he's getting for dinner today and that's correct! Leftover pot pie. 

It's going to be a fucking...long...winter. 

The Lady of The Hideaway


Mam's Chicken Pot Pie

1 quart jar of home canned chicken broth
2 cups diced, cooked chicken
4 small potatoes, diced
1 small onion, diced
Pot Pie bows
Rivels (very small flour & egg dumplings)
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder (or two cloves of garlic, smashed)
Parsley, salt, and pepper to your taste preferences 
My addition: a bit of dried rosemary to taste

Heat the broth in a big stock pot. Add potatoes, chicken, onion, seasonings. Heat medium low until the potatoes are about half cooked, then all the pot pit bows. Continue cooking until the pot pie bows are tender. Add the rivels and simmer for ten minutes. Let stand five minutes, then serve. 

Rivels: 3/4 cup AP flour and one egg. Whisk together until all the egg is incorporated and the mix is clumpy


Holly Tree Manor, The Hideaway, Chicken Pot Pie, grandma's cooking, dinner, country cooking, rural living, country lifestyle, a writer's life, Milwaukee chainsaw, John Deere x370 mower

No comments: